Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mangesh Vada Pav - He has the balls (Potato Balls)

Two thoughts instantly pops up in anyone's mind, when they hear the word MUMBAI. One for the over crowded trains and the other for its staple food Vada Pav.

I am sorry to call Vada Pav as the staple food of Mumbai, but I can't help it. There is no place in the city where you can't find this awesome snack. I shouldn't be calling it a snack either. Many a times people eat it for Lunch. To top it, you always have atleast 2-3 stalls around each other. And what shocks me is that you always have people around these stalls, with they demanding more and the vendor fulfilling their demands with hands dipped in Basen the entire day.

I would actually love to know whats the net worth of the Vada Pav Industry :). I am sure the figures will be shocking.

I have had Vada Pau's at a lot of places in Mumbai. Of course I can't cover all but you have to trust my coverage, its a lot of Vada Pav indeed.

Vada Pav usually tastes the same, wherever they are made. But my personal favorite is Mangesh Vada Pav. Its a small stall located very close to the station at Borivali West, diagonally opposite to Raj Mahal hotel.

Mangesh Vada Pav has the right mix of the ingredients, and it especially tastes awesome with the chutney (green sauce) he serves. I personally find it mild in taste, but for some it may turn out to be too spicy.

Its very unusual to find no one around on the stall, so you might have to wait for sometime before you bite into the crispy snack. Make sure you always get the hottest ones.

The tag line of Lay Chips actually applies to Mangesh. I bet 'No one can eat just one'

Ratings:
  1. Food: Excellent
  2. Ambiance: There is no Ambiance. Its a stall, usually called Bakda in Mumbai
  3. Service: Good
  4. Value for Money: Total Paisa Vasul
  5. Recommended: Must Visit
  6. Pocket Quotient: Rs 24 for 2 people

No comments:

Post a Comment